Purposeful Advocacy for New Jersey A Path Forward for Your Finances, Your Family, & Your Future CONTACT US

How Can I Request Child Support Payments?

April 13, 2021

Raising a child is one of the greatest joys in life but it is also very expensive to do so. When you have a child with another person who is no longer in your life, you want to make sure that you aren’t left with the financial burden of caring for the child on your own. Luckily, the parent that primarily cares for the child can request that the other parent pays them child support.

In New Jersey, a parent is permitted to submit an application requesting child support from the other parent. It is also important to be aware that you can request either full or partial child support payments, including medical support only, paternity establishment, and more. The New Jersey court system will use the state’s child support guidelines to determine the amount of money that will be paid. In order to determine the child support amount, the court will take into consideration the income of each parent as well as the amount that intact families of the same size and income levels spend on their children.

Some challenges with requesting child support are locating the other parent and having them admit that they are, in fact, the parent. You may have to take measures to establish paternity or locate the parent.

If you need assistance with any of these matters, contact an experienced attorney today.

Juan C. Velasco, Esq. is a trusted attorney who concentrates on bankruptcy, family law, real estate, and estate matters who has been serving the New Jersey area for over 25 years. If you are in need of experienced legal counsel, please contact Velasco Law Office and we will be happy to assist you.