If you have recently lost a loved one, chances are your main concern is healing. We understand this, however, the law requires several legal actions to be taken to close out your loved one’s estate. Though the process is complicated and may seem overwhelming, with a bit of self-education and an experienced attorney on your side, it does not have to be. That’s where we come in. Below, we have provided a rough outline of the estate administration process so you can have an idea of what you will encounter as the estate administrator. Please read on and reach out to our knowledgeable, compassionate New Jersey estate administration attorney to learn more about how we can help you through the legal process going forward.
- Upon your loved one’s passing, you must first inform all friends and family. From here, your next step should be speaking with a funeral home director/making any other end-of-life arrangements.
- Next, you will have to collect several important legal documents, like trusts, insurance policies, wills, and any other estate-related documentation your loved one may have prepared in his/her lifetime. Generally, it is best to hire a knowledgeable estate administration attorney at this time to help ensure you have everything you need before proceeding.
- You should next contact the decedent’s insurance company to inform them of the death and to learn more about potential benefits. On a similar token, you should also inform the decedent’s creditors of the passing and cancel all credit cards/subscriptions your loved one may have had.
- Since you are the administrator of the estate, you will have to pay all of your loved one’s remaining taxes and debts.
- Finally, you will have to distribute all assets to beneficiaries and ultimately close out the estate.
Though this all may seem fairly straightforward, the truth is, this is merely a simplified version of the estate administration process. In other words, make no mistake–you will surely need an experienced estate administration attorney on your side. We understand that this is a complicated time in your life, and that the sooner we conclude the administration process, the better. We are on your side. Simply reach out to our firm for the quality legal assistance you expect and deserve in your time of need.
Contact our experienced New Jersey firm
Juan C. Velasco, Esq. is a trusted attorney who concentrates on bankruptcy, family law, real estate, and estate matters who has been serving the New Jersey area for over 25 years. That is why we are confident we have what it takes to provide you with the effective legal counsel you need. If you need experienced legal counsel, please contact Velasco Law Office and we will be happy to assist you.